Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Denim Project Bag

Here's my latest sewing project...I call it my "Denim Project Bag".  I needed something to hold my knitting projects so I created this bag...


I started out with a pair of old blue jeans and the "printed" canvas fabric for the lining.  From both fabrics, I cut the following pieces:

Bottom - 10 3/4" x 7 3/4"
Sides (x2) - 15" x 7 3/4"
Front & Back - 15" x 10 3/4"



First, you are going to sew the denim bag. With right sides together, sew the front and the back to the bottom using 1/4" seam allowance.



Then, attached the sides to the bottom and sew in place, again using 1/4" seam allowance.  Actually, you will use a 1/4" seam allowance for all the sewing.



Now, you are going to sew up all four corners.  Trim any loose threads and turn right-side out. Fold the top over approximately 1" and press with an iron.  Now, sew the top edge in place.



Denim bag done!  Now you will do the same thing with your lining EXCEPT hemming the top edge of the bag.  Also, just leave the finished liner wrong side out.



To make the ruffled edge:

Cut a piece of the liner fabric 70" long by 6" wide.  Fold the fabric in half width-wise and press with an iron so your fabric will now be 70" long by 3" wide.

Here's the ruffling technique...you will need dental floss...yes, dental floss - waxed preferred.  Measure the floss to 70" adding about 3" to each end.  Set you machine stitch onto "zigzag", lay the dental floss onto the top edge (the unfinished edge) and zigzag over top of the floss.  Make any sense?!?  Once you are done, you can now pull the loose floss ends to gather your fabric and the wax helps it to slide easily.





Once you've gathered your ruffle, pin it to the top edge of your liner (right sides together) and sew in place.  Remove any loose threads.



Insert the liner into the denim bag and fold the ruffled top edge over the denim.  There you have it.... You could add handles and pockets, if desired, however, I just wanted something simple to keep my projects off the floor.



(Note...the bag will not stand up on it's own...I cut two pieces of cardboard the same size as the front and back and placed them in between the inside of the denim bag and the liner.)

If you have any questions with regards to my instructions, please don't hesitate to contact me.  Have a great day and thanks for stopping by...
Lesa

12 comments:

  1. What a great use of old jeans. Great job.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so lovely. Thank you so much for sharing. What a beautiful space you have created my very first visit here I will follow on my way out so I know my path back here. I adore your dishcloths where do you get the patterns? What do you use them for? Perhaps you will find the time to come visit me soon and do the same. I look forward to engaging more throughout the year and beyond. Take care. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea to have the lining separate to the outer denim, which enables you to insert the cardboard, yet still be able to wash the bag, by removing the cardboard. Looks great, too!!! I would love for you to share this at my ongoing linky that's exclusively for bags and totes...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/01/threading-your-way-bags-and-totes-link.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had to snag this one, it's perfect. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tut! This idea is so different from most, I love the lining fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful tutorial and a great use of jeans! I liked the other fabric you used, as well. I featured this on my blog at http://whittskitsfabricscrafts.blogspot.com/2013/04/mining-mondays-what-to-do-with-pair-of.html with a direct link back here. Thanks so much!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea!
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs!!!
    http://scentofstyl.blogspot.gr/2013/08/blog-post_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah.....this I must sew! So nice :)
    Gun, Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this, I'm gonna make one

    ReplyDelete
  11. An easy and effective way to remove plaque around dental braces and improve gum health is to use a Gurin Water Flosser with the Orthodontic Tip. It is clinically proven more effective than dental floss for people with braces. Learn more about how to floss with braces using a Gurin water flosser.

    ReplyDelete